(image: Mental Health Blog Awards)
Voting is now open (first round) for the Mental Health Blog Awards 2020 and we have been nominated in the Blogger of the Year Category.
We would love you to vote for us, to recognise all of our hard work- including that of our guest bloggers, in battling mental health stigma.
I started the blog 4 years ago and it is an honour to be nominated.
You can vote for us- listed as Eleanor at Be Your Own Light here and please also vote for others in other categories if you are aware of their work! There are some incredible people nominated.
From Mike Douglas, founder of the awards:
“I am delighted to welcome you to the Mental Health Blog Awards.
I look forward to continuing to celebrate the amazing work, effort, energy, emotion and so much more you all put into raising awareness, supporting, signposting, explaining and comforting in 2020.”
(image: Mental Health Blog Awards)
With love and thanks,
Yesterday we received the wonderful news that we are listed (for 2nd year running) as a Top 10 UK Mental Health Blog by PR and Communications experts Vuelio. We are at number 7 amongst some fantastic bloggers and it is a true honour!
You can read more about it here: https://www.vuelio.com/uk/social-media-index/mental-health-blogs-uk-top-10/
Thanks Holly and Vuelio!
Today I got an email from the lovely people at Vuelio to say they have listed us as Top 10 UK Mental Health Blog.
We are number 8, alongside some incredible blogs and organisations such as the Mental Elf and Mental Health Foundation as well as blogger friends of mine- check them all out .
Thanks so much Vuelio! This award is important as it is about being influential in our industry so am so happy to recieve it.
See the list here: https://www.vuelio.com/uk/social-media-index/mental-health-blogs-uk-top-10/
We are delighted to have won some more awards from Anuj and his team at Feedspot.com!
Be Ur Own Light has been named as a Top 10 UK Depression Blog and Top 10 UK Anxiety blog alongside some amazing mental health bloggers and charities. It is a true honour.
Anuj has said: CONGRATULATIONS to every blogger that has made this Top UK Anxiety Blogs list! This is the most comprehensive list of best UK Anxiety and Depression blogs on the internet and I’m honoured to have you as part of this! I personally give you a high-five and want to thank you for your contribution to this world.
You can see us in the lists here. Thank you Feedspot!
Thank you so much to Ashley Leia at Mental Health at Home who writes amazing articles about her experience of mental health and beyond, for nominating me for the Mystery Blogger Award. I love reading your blog Ashley!
The Rules of the award:
1. Put the award logo/image on your blog
2. List the rules.
3. Thank whoever nominated you and provide a link to their blog.
4. Tell your readers 3 things about yourself
5. Answer the questions you were asked
6. Nominate 10 – 20 people & notify
7. Ask your nominees any 5 questions of your choice; with one weird or funny question (specify)
8. Share a link to your best post(s)
My Nominations: All of these blogs have amazing stories about mental health and I’ve learned a lot from them, many I interact with on an almost daily basis. I love being a part of our mental health blogging community.
- Beckie’s Mental Mess
- Casey Elizabeth at This Bipolar Brat
Kimberly at This Girls Got Curves
- Kathi at Its OK not to be OK
- Alexis Rose at Untangled
5.Tina at A Journey of a Lifetime
6.The Catalysts for Change
7. It’s Good to be Crazy Sometimes
8. Mental Health Guru
9. Social Worker Angela at I am my Own Island
3 Things about me:
I went to drama school for my Masters degree (grad school)
I have travelled to India and volunteered in Ghana in a school and NGO.
I love writing and blogging… my first blog was on Blogger!
My answers to Ashley’s 5 questions:
- As a one line euology- ‘ she gave to others with kindness’
- My most funny toilet experience was in Ghana… with a wooden shed, no plumbing and no toilet roll or flush….
3. My favourite farm animal are baby lambs or piglets
4. I would really like to visit America, particularly New York
5. Strangest food item would be an African dish called teazet… which is savoury porridge and meat.
5 questions for my nominees:
- What motivated you to blog about mental health?
2. If you could be one book character who would you be?
3.What makes you laugh uncontrollably?
4. If you could ask someone to act as you in the film of your life- who would you choose?
5. Whats at the top of your bucket list?
My Favourite Post Link:
Thank you to Sue at http://www.myloudbipolarwhispers.com for nominating Be Ur Own Light as one of their Sunshine Bloggers! Sue wrote, ‘I believe this great group of people and their blogs bring a lot of joy and sunshine and education into the lives of many people and I also pray these lovely people have a lot of joy and sunshine in their lives every day.’
Thank you so much Sue for this beautiful accolade and for paving the way in battling stigma against bipolar disorder and mental health in general! You are a star in a dark world 🙂
So these are the rules except I can’t think of 11 people to nominate, so I will do 4!
Rules for “The Sunshine Blogger Award”
- Thank the blogger who nominated you and link to them.
- Answer the eleven questions asked.
- Nominate 11 other bloggers. (I am doing 4)
- Create 11 new and different questions for them to answer.
- List the rules.
- Include the “Sunshine Blogger Award” logo in your post somewhere
Sue has asked me to provide answers to the following questions:
How old are you? 29
How old were you when you were diagnosed with mental illness, or other type of chronic and/or invisible illness or grief? Diagnosed with bipolar affective disorder at 16, lived with anxiety disorder from 17/18
Where do you live? London, UK
What makes you happy? Sunshine, sunflowers, autumn leaves, chocolate, Reading books and of course my boyfriend, friends and family.
What makes you angry: War, refugees still having to flee, terrorism and mental health stigma
When was the last time you experienced mental illness stigma or any other type of stigma or discrimination? A few years ago when someone refused to set me up on a date with someone they knew due to my illness being disclosed.
What is your favorite kind of candy? Cadburys chocolate
What is your favorite season and why? Autumn (Fall)- because its so cosy and I love fairy lights, hot chocolate, snuggling in blankets, autumn leaves etc.
How long have you been blogging? Here on WordPress for almost 2 years and before that on Blogger and elsewhere for 2 years. I am a writer so am always blogging.
Do you prefer a sunny or a cloudy/rainy day? Usually sunny but there is something very cosy about watching the rain from inside.
I nominate the following because they are rays of light in the blogging world, sharing, writing and wearing their hearts on their sleeves. They sparkle in tackling mental health stigma and I am so proud to have them as Followers of my blog.
Alexis Rose- https://atribeuntangled.com/
Paul McGinley- https://paulmcginleymentalhealth.wordpress.com/
Christina at Sea of Words- https://seaofwordsx.wordpress.com/
Happiness Hunt Blog https://thehappinesshunt.wordpress.com
These are the following questions they must answer:
1) Why did you start your blog?
2) How long have you been blogging and what is your passion?
3) Which country are you based and what is mental health care like there?
4) What is your favourite movie?
5) If you could chose one actor to play you in the film of your life who would it be?
6) What has helped you on your recovery journeys?
7) Where would you most want to travel to?
8) What is your favourite food?
9) Why do you like writing?
10) Which song makes you smile?
11) If you could pick a spirit animal who would you pick?
Congratulations on the award !
Thank you to Feedspot.com for giving us another Blog award! As well as being a Top 30 social anxiety blog, we are listed as a Top 100 blog for people with Bipolar disorder, at number 49!
We have been listed amongst some amazing, informative websites! Take a look at the full list here: http://blog.feedspot.com/bipolar_disorder_blogs/
Thanks to Anuj and all at Feedspot for recognising our work!