As I started opening this page to write this blog post, on youtube, the Jessie J live concert I was listening to flicked on to one of my favourites of hers, ‘Who You Are’.
‘Don’t lose who you are
In the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving
Dreaming is believing
its Ok not to be OK
Sometimes its hard to follow your heart
Tears don’t mean you’re losing
Just stay true to who you are.’ (Jessie J)
I wanted to write a post on what to do when you feel alone. This sums it up- self care and staying true to yourself.
- Its ok to cry. Let the emotion out, feel the grief/fear/sadness/anger. Allow it to be present and wash over you. Crying can be healing.
2. Seek support from a loved one, someone you trust or a helpline like Samaritans. You are never truly alone even if you don’t have a supportive family or friends- though it is harder.
3. Write out your feelings on paper in a journal or talk about them with a therapist if you can access one.
4. Do a little activity to make you feel a bit happier– talk to a friend, sing, paint, write, do sport- whatever your thing is- do it.
5. Find a support group- Mind run good ones or a local charity to you.
6. Remember – these emotions, these feelings will pass like clouds eventually. This too shall pass. make sure you keep speaking, sharing and healing yourself.
7. If you are feeling very depressed or at crisis point, call a helpline or go to your GP.
8. Make sure you eat, drink and look after yourself. If this isnt possible- see point 7.
Sometimes we can all feel alone or lonely in the world. Its a part of being human. But taking small steps towards looking after ourselves and our mental health can be really helpful.
What helps you?